Anti-Inflammatory, Anti-Arthritic & Chondroprotective Agent for IV Use in Horses.
Contains: GLUCOSAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE 200 mg/mL
Features and Benefits
Glucosamine is utilised in the production of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) which then combine with hyaluronic acid (HA) to form large proteoglycans in the matrix of cartilage. As such, glucosamine is a fundamental molecule for the synthesis and structure of cartilage. A growing body of evidence supports the pain-relieving and potentially chondroprotective properties of glucosamine. Notably, glucosamine prevents degradation of cartilage proteoglycans in vitro and upregulates production of proteoglycan by chondrocytes. Glucosamine has also been shown in vitro to protect against the inhibition of proteoglycan production in chondrocytes caused by methylprednisolone.
Already, oral administration of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate has demonstrated positive effects on equine osteoarthritis, and intravenous administration of glucosamine more rapidly produces significantly higher serum and synovial fluid glucosamine levels. During one 12-hour study period, Intravenous administration in horses created maximum glucosamine levels 50x higher in the serum and over 20x higher in the synovial (joint) fluid than via oral administration of the same glucosamine HCl dose.
In Australian trials of NV Glucosamine 200 Injection, veterinarians reported "Good" to "Very Good" response in 67.5% of the osteoarthritic horses treated (20mL IV daily for 5 - 10 days in most cases). Positive responses included improved action and race performance, and reduced lameness and joint effusion. Pentosan polysulfate, as contained in Nature Vet's Pentosan Equine Injection, is known to stimulate cartilage healing, a process which utilises glucosamine for production of GAGs and HA.
Combining glucosamine injections prior to and/or at the time of Pentosan Equine administration may enhance the beneficial effects on the joints.
For use in selected cases to help improve joint function in horses.
Dosage and Administration
Adult Horses (500 kg) : Administer 20 mL daily by intravenous injection for 5 - 10 days In light of the actions of glucosamine discussed above, consideration may also be given to :
- Protective pre-treatment with NV Glucosamine 200 Injection prior to intra-articular corticosteroid injections;
- Combination with daily oral glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate products such as Nature Vet's Cosequin Equine Powder Concentrate or Joint Guard Powder for Horses;
- Adjunctive pre- or concurrent treatment with NV Glucosamine 200 Injection for Pentosan Equine injections.
100 mL sterile solution in multi-dose vial.
Store between 2o C and 8o C (Refrigerate. Do not freeze). Protect from light.
Use all product within 3 months of first broaching vial.
APVMA Approval Number
Safety in pregnant or lactating mares has not been established.
Meat Witholding Period: NIL
* Refer to product leaflet or contact Nature Vet for further references and information.
1. Byron et al, Am J Vet Res. 2008 Sep;69(9):1123-8
2. Laverty et al, Arthritis Rheum 2005;52:181-191
3. Du et al, Biopharm Drug Dispos 2004;25:109-116
4. Meulyzer et al, Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2008 Sep;16(9):973-9
5. McIlwraith, W, AAEP Proceedings (Milne Lecture) 2005;51.